Germany, a beautiful country in Europe, often known for big cities like Berlin, Frankfurt or München, “Oktoberfest”, “Bratwurst” and the beautiful Black forest. In fact, Germany has a lot more to offer – we will share some of our best travel tips with you! Diverse landscapes like beaches, lakes and mountains, a rich culture, exciting (outdoor) activities and a vivid city life. You want to explore Germany off the beaten path? We show you some hidden gems, highly recommended by locals!
Things you will love when travelling in Germany
- Brew your own beer at home – for beginners!Germany is internationally famous for its high-quality beer. People drink beer all over the world. So why not try to brew you own beer? Did you think it is difficult? It is actually very easy!Continue reading
- Authentic German Spätzle (engl. spaetzle) with mushroom cream sauceGermany has many regional specialties, such as the Swabian spaetzle. Being a German, Janice can confirm that spaetzle are a must-try when visiting the south of Germany. You will not regret it! Anyway, if youContinue reading
- Mini adventure: Cycle through the (Göttinger) forest and gather wild garlicThe smell of wild garlic is in the air…. In spring, the forest floor of some forests will be fully covered with wild garlic, also known as ramson or Allium ursinum. You cannot miss theContinue reading
- A beautiful day hike in the Harz Mountains: Oderteich – Großes Torfhausmoor – OderbrückThe hike in the Harz Mountains starts at the idyllic Lake Oderteich, which is part of the UNESCO world heritage “Oberharzer Wasserwirtschaft”. Then, the fairy tale road (Märchenweg) guides you through a black forest. YouContinue reading
6 reasons, why you should travel in Germany
There are a lot of reasons, why you should travel in Germany. You still need to be convinced? Check out our 6 reasons why your next travel adventure should start in Germany and get inspired by our local travel tips!
# 1 Beach feeling
Do you love to hang out at beaches or do some watersports? Germany does have beaches and islands! Make sure, not to miss out the UNESCO world heritage wadden sea and take a walk on the sea ground with a local guide!
- Beautiful dunes and beaches
- Islands (Amrum, Hiddensee, Sylt)
- The unique wadden sea (UNESCO world heritage)
# 2 Impressive German cities & castles
If you are interested in architecture, you should take a look at the German ferrytail castles like Schloss Neuschwarnstein or Burg Eltz. Besides, Germany offers big, multicultural cities like Berlin or Köln, but also convinces with the charm of smaller towns like Goslar, Münster or Quedlinburg!
- Fairytale castles like Schloss Neuschwarnstein and Burg Eltz
- Big cities (Berlin, Hamburg, Köln)
- Impressive Fachwerkstädte (cities with half-timbered houses like Goslar and Quedlinburg)
# 3 Colorful nature
It does not matter if you want to travel to Germany in spring, summer, autumn or winter. Natures beauty will show you why! Take a hike through the black forest, climb up the mountains in the alps or “Sächsische Schweiz” and hold your breath while crossing the largest suspension bridge of Germany!
- Lakes like Bodensee and Chiemsee
- Rivers & waterfalls (Mosel, Romkerhaller waterfall)
- Mountains and rocks (Harz mountains, Alps, Sächsische Schweiz, Kreidefelsen at Rügen)
- Beautiful forests like the famous black forest.
- Heather fields in August / September (Lüneburger Heide)
# 4 Special winter moments
Germany is known for their christmas markets. Stroll around the different stands or warm your hands while drinking Glühwein – a traditional christmas drink in Germany. You want to fully experience the winter or conquer the highest mountains? Go for a skiing or snowboarding trip in the alps, try tubing or simply enjoy hiking through the winter wonderland of the Harz mountains.
- Wonderful Christmas markets in December like Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt and Lübecker Weihnachtsmarkt
- Skiing, snowboarding, tubing, sledging, ice skating
- Winter hikes in Oberharz, Berchtesgadener Land etc.
# 5 Good food & drinks
oh yeah, the food in Germany is really great if you do not bother about too many calories. Try out the German cuisine and enjoy a cold German beer! You want more beer? Just say “Ein Bier bitte!”
- Famous quality beer according to the German purity requirement (Reinheitsgebot),
- Great wines from the beautiful wine regions like Moseltal and Pfalz
- Hearty dishes like Spätzle, Kassler and Sauerkraut, cabbage rolls etc.
- For the sweet tooth: coffee and cake (such as Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte or strawberry cake), chocolate or vanilla custard with red fruit jelly
# 6 Adrenaline moments
If you like to get an extra adrenaline kick, you will also find what you are looking for in Germany! Europa Park Rust is the best leisure park whe have been in so far. Make sure to try out the virtual reality rollercoaster! But if you prefer to spend your time in nature, you could try out mountain biking, climbing, or go canyoning!
- Amazing leisure parks like Europa Park
- Downhill biking in Bayerischere Wald or Harz
- Freeclimbing in Sächsische Schweiz
- Indoor diving in dive4life in Siegburg
- Canyoning in Bayern
As you can see, you can do a lot of cool things in Germany! Make sure to follow us on Instagram, to not miss out on our newest travel tips from Germany or other parts of the world!